10 March, 2009

Syncing apps?

Been looking for sync apps for a long time. At work I use Outlook, at home I use Thunderbird/Lightning, and I have a Sony Ericsson smartphone for work and an iPhone 3G for personal calls. I do not want to have separate calendars/contacts/tasks for work and private use, I need all things in one place. I currently use Plaxo for contact syncing between Thunderbird (home) and Outlook (work) and Outlook Express (home) and to view my calendar/tasks/notes via the iPhone/Safari. I then let iTunes (home) sync with the Outlook Express address book to get contacts into the iPhone.

Some suggestions are
Trouble is that I don't really like to use online services, I would like to sync everything locally on the computers I use, so for me Plaxo is a klugy workaround. But it works since I can't sync the iPhone to more than one computer; getting the info to my home computer via Plaxo is ok. It would probably be better to use Google with the added functionality it offers, but I'm not giving up just yet ;-)

Also, I miss the ability to sync tasks to the iPhone. I know there are apps, but most seem to be self-contained and don't offer the syncing that I need. If anyone knows of any sync solutions for the above scenario, please comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment