Ok, so Scribefire did a much better job of rapidly dumping my new text on blogger this time. So not a lot of excuse for not posting now ;-)
About FF extensions, I love them! They are extremely useful and I am occasionally looking for new ones to add. However, I am recently considering removing Sage, which I have used successfully for quite some time. That's because I have started playing with google reader. Since I use several different computers daily, this is a great tool so that i do not have to mentally synchronize what I've already read. Like it a lot!
Speaking of RSS feeds I must also mention Wizz. I have tried it a few of times and while my last experience (a couple of weeks ago) was at least passable I must say that it is a feature-rich RSS reader that fails to satisfy in the usability department. They even have a part in their online help saying "For some reason many people find it difficult to add feeds to Wizz" (from memory, probably not the exactly correct quote), and proceed to let you know how easy it is. However, dear developers, if many people have a problem, maybe it isn't as easy as you think it is? The problem I have is that it is hit and miss whether I get the desired RSS feed. It might even look like it's been added but Wizz doesn't display the contents, or other strange behaviours. With Sage, all I do is click on the live bookmark link in the address bar , select the feed and select the feed folder that Sage looks at. Boom ,it works. With Wizz you have to hunt down the rss feed link (xml file) and for some reason that is not directly present on a lot of pages so you have to search for it. At least I can't find it on about half of the pages I read. If I drag the assumed rss feed link/icon it isn't always the correct one (don't know why), or at least it doesn't work. Using a workaround, saving as a live bookmark and then importing into Wizz has worked every time, but that is clearly not optimal. I don't consider myself stupid, but Wizz just doesn't seem to work for me. So it goes.
And I tried Twittytunes last week. Fun, but caused my FF on Win2kSP4 at work to become unable to load *any* links after a restart, while it works fine at home (FF on WinXPSP2).
About FF extensions, I love them! They are extremely useful and I am occasionally looking for new ones to add. However, I am recently considering removing Sage, which I have used successfully for quite some time. That's because I have started playing with google reader. Since I use several different computers daily, this is a great tool so that i do not have to mentally synchronize what I've already read. Like it a lot!
Speaking of RSS feeds I must also mention Wizz. I have tried it a few of times and while my last experience (a couple of weeks ago) was at least passable I must say that it is a feature-rich RSS reader that fails to satisfy in the usability department. They even have a part in their online help saying "For some reason many people find it difficult to add feeds to Wizz" (from memory, probably not the exactly correct quote), and proceed to let you know how easy it is. However, dear developers, if many people have a problem, maybe it isn't as easy as you think it is? The problem I have is that it is hit and miss whether I get the desired RSS feed. It might even look like it's been added but Wizz doesn't display the contents, or other strange behaviours. With Sage, all I do is click on the live bookmark link in the address bar , select the feed and select the feed folder that Sage looks at. Boom ,it works. With Wizz you have to hunt down the rss feed link (xml file) and for some reason that is not directly present on a lot of pages so you have to search for it. At least I can't find it on about half of the pages I read. If I drag the assumed rss feed link/icon it isn't always the correct one (don't know why), or at least it doesn't work. Using a workaround, saving as a live bookmark and then importing into Wizz has worked every time, but that is clearly not optimal. I don't consider myself stupid, but Wizz just doesn't seem to work for me. So it goes.
And I tried Twittytunes last week. Fun, but caused my FF on Win2kSP4 at work to become unable to load *any* links after a restart, while it works fine at home (FF on WinXPSP2).
Powered by ScribeFire.
No comments:
Post a Comment